Laxminarayana & Nagalaxmi Modali Award
1. Description of the Award
The Laxminarayana & Nagalaxmi Modali Award for Astronomy and Astrophysics is awarded annually by The Astronomical Society of India. The award carries a cash prize of Rs 50,000/- (Rupees Fifty thousand only), a medal and a citation.
2. Nomination Criteria
The award is given for notable and outstanding research contributions made by a scientist primarily in India during the 10 years preceding the year of the award in the area of astronomy and astrophysics. The nominee must be an Indian citizen and must have carried out the work in an Indian institute and be not more than 45 years of age at the time of nomination.
All nominations for the award must be received, annually, by the ASI, by the deadline indicated on the website of the ASI. The nominations should be sent as a single pdf document to the Secretary, ASI at email@example.com. Nominations can be made by the heads of the institutions and other eminent members of the ASI.
Nominations must include the following material:
3. Address for correspondence
4. Date of birth
5. Academic qualifications
6. List of publications
7. 5 most important reprints relevant to the recommendation
8. A statement clearly outlining the merits of the work of the nominee
9. A short biography and CV of the nominee
10. A short citation which could be used in case the nominee is selected for the award
11. Name and designation of the proposer along with the address for correspondence
12. Any other information pertaining to the scientific excellence of the nominee
4. Selection Process
A five member Award Selection Committee (ASC) is constituted by the ASI ensuring technical and gender representation. Each member of the ASC receives all nominations along with the supporting material. The ASC will communicate the result of its deliberations to the ASI council within three month following the submission deadline.
5. Announcement of the Award
The successful nominee should be informed of the decision of the ASI council and be asked to receive the award and deliver a lecture during the following ASI meeting.
|Name of the Awardee||Year|
|Dr. Poonam Chandra||2020|
|Dr. Abhishek Kumar Srivastava||2019|
|Dr. Dibyendu Nandi||2018|